Queens Chronicle - December 16, 2016by Ryan Brady, Associate Editor
A fire at an apartment building in Murray Hill injured seven residents, one severely, and three firefighters last Thursday, according to the FDNY.
The fire happened around 4:40 a.m. at 157-11 Sanford Ave. on the building's fourth floor and spread to the two floors above it, according to NBC New York.
One person was sent to Flushing Hospital Medical Center, three patients declined further medical attention, two were moved to NewYork-Presbyterian/Queens, three to Queens Hospital Center and one was taken in critical condition to Jacobi Hospital, according to an FDNY spokesperson.
"Cause of fire: electrical, power strip," an FDNY spokesman said. "The smoke alarm in the dwelling was operational."
According to Red Cross spokesman Michael de Vulpillieres, the fire destroyed or damaged seven of the building's apartments.
"Red Cross provided emergency housing for four families," de Vulpillieres said in an emailed statement. "The remaining households had their own relocation. Red Cross also provided emergency funds for basic necessities like food and clothing. Affected families are invited to meet one-on-one with Red Cross caseworkers for additional assistance."